Interested in homeschooling? This is what you need to do

Due to the current pandemic, many families are thinking about homeschooling for the 2020-2021 school year

You must send a letter to your superintendent or the state Department of Education informing them that you intend to homeschool within five days of leaving your district’s program, Michelle Levell, of Granite State Home Educators, said. (However, if your child will be younger than age 6 before Sept. 30, you do not need to send a letter of intent to homeschool if you do not choose to enroll your child in kindergarten.)

Parents should receive an acknowledgement letter from their district or the state within 14 days and will be officially considered a homeschooling family. The GSHE on its website ( provides a template for the letter of intent and information about other homeschooling requirements and support, including where to begin, how to manage testing and annual evaluations, a list of resources, and a directory of support groups and other homeschooling organizations.

The New Hampshire Home Education Law, RSA 193-A, outlines the specifics of what’s legally required to homeschool your child in New Hampshire, and what they are entitled to receive from their district.

  • Evidence of student work: Parents must compile and keep portfolios of their children’s work for two years. A portfolio must include a list of books the student reads and work samples such as worksheets, pieces of writing, videos, computer programs, tests and other creative pieces.
  • Annual assessments: Homeschooling students must either take a standardized test to show they are able to perform at the 40th percentile, or have a certified teacher or a person currently teaching in a nonpublic school evaluate the portfolio. Or they can be evaluated using any other valid measurement tool mutually agreed upon by the parent and the commissioner of education, resident district superintendent, or nonpublic school principal.
  • Participation in district activities: Students in a homeschooling program are allowed to join their peers in co-curricular activities such as dances, sports and clubs to supplement and enrich regular academic programs of study. Homeschoolers may also participate in curricular classes, if enrollment is available.
  • Special education students: While a district is not obligated to provide special education services to homeschooling families, they may offer services through RSA 189:49. Schools must provide access to curricular and co-curricular activities to homeschooled students with special needs, if they choose to participate.
Categories: Homeschooling