Coronavirus FAQ

Covid 19

What are the symptoms of coronavirus?

Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) cases. The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure: Fever, cough, shortness of breath. (source:

What should I do if I think I or my child may have a COVID-19 infection?

Call your doctor or pediatrician. If you do not have a doctor, contact your local board of health. They can direct you to the best place for evaluation and treatment in your area. It’s best to not seek medical care in an emergency department unless you have symptoms of severe illness. Severe symptoms include high or very low body temperature, shortness of breath, confusion, or feeling you might pass out. Call ahead of time to let the staff know that you are coming so they can be prepared. (source: Harvard Health;

How long is the State of Emergency in NH? When can kids go back to school?

Gov. Chris Sununu declared a State of Emergency on Friday, March 13. The 21-day order expires April 3, but it can be extended if needed. Schools are also closed statewide through April 3, but could remain closed if conditions warrant. (source: (Note: The order has been extended to May 4.)

What do I do if I lose my job or I can’t work?

Individuals who are unable to work or who have reduced hours due to the COVID-19 pandemic have immediate access to unemployment benefits. Anyone in the following situations will now be eligible for state unemployment: If your employer temporarily closes due to COVID-19; Individuals that need to self-quarantine or are directed to quarantine at the instruction of a health care provider, employer or government official; Individuals that need to care for a family member that has COVID-19 or is under quarantine; Individuals that need to care for a dependent because of school closures, child care facility closures or other similar types of care programs; Self-employed individuals that are temporarily unable to operate their business because of any of the above listed situations will also be eligible. Go to or call 271-7700. (Gov. Chris Sununu, March 17)

Where can I turn for help?

  • Granite United Way’s 211 NH initiative is available 24 hours a day and taking calls from New Hampshire residents regarding COVID-19. The Granite United Way has established a relief fund for those affected financially
    by the crisis. For more, go to
  • Feeling stressed or anxious? You are not alone. If you or someone you know is struggling emotionally, help
    is available. Contact NAMI New Hampshire’s information and resources line at or 1-800-242-6264.
  • For up-to-date, official information from the State of New Hampshire and Governor’s office, go to
  • The Centers for Disease Control has information related to all aspects of COVID-19, including resources for
    parents, businesses, schools and community-based organizations, and more about social distancing. Go to
Categories: COVID-19